Avocado Greek Salad & Greek Salad Dressing
Avocado Greek Salad with a Greek Salad Dressing is a family favourite side salad served with anything!
Avocado Greek Salad is a twist on the traditional Greek Salad! Normally, an authentic Greek salad does not contain avocado or lettuce, but consists of green peppers (or capsicum), tomatoes, cucumbers, feta, olives, and onion. In this house, however, we always add avocado. Avocado – on – everything – addiction. And why not?! It’s such a great addition, you’ll be doing it too!
My Big Fat Greek Wedding — BOTH movies — have been on daily rotation over here: after school and all throughout the weekends. MY CHILDREN ARE OBSESSED. (Send HELP!) Because of this obsession, this salad has been happening daily WITH EVERYTHING. Roast a lamb? Make Avocado Greek salad. Grill some chicken? Make a Greek Salad. Bake fish? Yeah, you guessed it. Greek salad. Don’t get me wrong, I’m NOT complaining. But it’s getting to the point I have olives growing outta my ears.
With all this Greek Salad making, and eating… and making, and eating again, I have to say what makes a good Greek salad even better is a dressing so full of flavour, you could drizzle it all over your meat like we do (and like I did here with this Greek Lemon Garlic Chicken Salad). It only takes a few ingredients that I bet you already have in your kitchen. Throw out your bottled dressings. No, seriously… go chuck them out. Once you realise how easy and fast it is to make your own, you’ll be giving the bottled stuff the flick.
- Don’t have red wine vinegar? Substitute with lemon juice (FRESHLY SQUEEZED!)
- Garlic? YES. Just trust me.
- Dried oregano? Yes. In the seasonings section of your supermarket. GET ON IT.
- Want to bulk up your salad? Add lettuce (I love Romaine or Cos).
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (or 1 large garlic cloves, minced)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (plus extra to serve)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large cucumber, halved lengthways and sliced
- 4 vine ripened tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 green pepper (capsicum), deseeded and sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced thinly
- 7 oz | 200 g good quality creamy feta cheese, cubed
- ½ cup (3 oz | 80 g) pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 large avocado, diced
- Whisk together dressing ingredients in jug or jar.
- Mix together all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Toss with dressing. Season with extra salt ONLY IF NEEDED (depending how salty your feta cheese is). To serve, sprinkle over extra oregano (optional). Serve with chicken, fish, lamb, beef, the options are endless!
© 2017, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.
The post Avocado Greek Salad & Greek Salad Dressing appeared first on Cafe Delites.