I love a good casserole. A one-dish meal is convenient, easy, and reminds me of home. This Baked Quinoa Casserole with Chicken and Broccoli makes a complete, healthy dinner.
Casseroles are often are loaded with unhealthy ingredients and fat, but this one features all healthy ingredients. It’s packed with protein through the chicken and quinoa. And there’s so much good to say about broccoli.
This wonderful green vegetable is actually part of the cabbage family—also known as cruciferous vegetables. Seriously, when your mom said “eat your vegetables” she may not have known about all the fantastic health benefits of the cruciferous vegetables, but WebMD doesn’t call them “super-veggies” for nothing
Vitamins. Fiber. Disease-battling phytochemicals. Need I say more?
So we’ve settled it that this is one healthy casserole. But it’s also downright delicious.
Besides, it’s colorful, and as a chef and an artist, I pay attention to color.
You can make this casserole in advance and bake it later, which is a terrific idea to help manage the busy holidays. You can also take a shortcut and use rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. This dish makes a nice potluck casserole.
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded (rotisserie chicken breast is fine)
- 2 cups chopped broccoli, cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup green onions + more for garnish, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped kalamata olives
- 3 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- Coconut oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook quinoa as per package instructions. Add to a large mixing bowl along with chicken and cooked broccoli, and mix to combine.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, peppers and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic, green onions, oregano, basil, diced tomatoes, and olives; cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes mixture to the quinoa mixture and combine. Add 1½ cup cheese and mix to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a baking dish and press on it gently to flatten. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes, uncovered. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with additional green onions. Serve warm.
The post Baked Quinoa Casserole with Chicken and Broccoli appeared first on citronlimette.