Do you guys know Jackie Sobon? She runs one of my favorite blogs, Vegan Yack Attack, and is an amazing photographer. Vegan Bowl Attack is her very first book and I’m so glad I get to share her recipe for Hearts of Palm Vegan “Fish” Taco Bowl with you today.
She uses hearts of palm to replace the seafood, and I love the texture. You can also get it in a regular grocery store making it easier to get your hands on than jackfruit for some of you. It’s a perfect recipe for a hot summer meal!
In the first chapter, Attack of the Vegan Bowls, Jackie gives you some helpful tip and formulas to get you making your own bowls from scratch. But don’t worry she gives you plenty of recipes to follow along with too.
The breakfast chapter includes recipes for chai waffle stick dippers, biscuit nacho bowl, and melon madness bowl. The other chapter include snacks, soups, salads, entrees, and desserts too. There’s also a bowl essential chapter that gives recipes for sauces, seitan and more. So you’ll find a recipe for just about any kind of delicious morsel that you’re craving.
Now I want to know what’s your go to bowl meal? Let me know in the comments.
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 cup (70 g) shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup (70 g) shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup (110 g) grated carrot
- ¼ cup (60 g) vegan mayonnaise (soy-free, if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- ½ cup (90 g) diced tomato
- ⅓ cup (55 g) diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon (1 g) minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon (6 g) minced fresh jalapeno (optional)
- ½ teaspoon lime juice Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cans (14 ounces, or 400 g each) hearts of palm, drained
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon dulse seaweed flakes
- Pinch of salt
- 4 small corn tortillas cut into strips
- ¼ cup (4 g) loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons (11 g) sliced fresh jalapeno
- 8 lime wedges
- Place all of the ingredients in a bowl, stir together until combined, and then refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Place all of the ingredients in a bowl, stir together until combined,
- and then refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C, or gas mark 4) and coat a baking sheet with a thin layer of oil or nonstick cooking spray. In a mixing bowl, using two forks or your hands, pull apart the hearts of palm until they appear shredded. Stir in the lime juice, dulse flakes, and salt until combined and then spread the mixture out on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the edges start to turn golden brown.
- While the “fish” is baking, place the tortilla strips on a baking sheet, brush with a thin layer of oil, and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until crispy. Divide the slaw, pico de gallo, “fish,” and tortillas among 4 shallow bowls, arranging the components in quadrants. Nestle the cilantro, jalapeño, and lime wedges in with the tortilla strips. Serve immediately.
The post Hearts of Palm Vegan Fish Taco Bowl from Vegan Bowl Attack appeared first on .